Sunday, March 28, 2021

Heinz 57 at its spin count

 

Once again, I come to the conclusion, that good yarn is the result the practice of good spinning craft.

Ok, I can spin the Heinz 57 at 30,000 ypp. How?  Worsted. 

It is not any one thing. I was spinning miles and miles of the fiber at ~16,000 ypp, and with each beard of this fiber, I was refining all my techniques for this fiber. I practice.

Then, one afternoon spinning the recalcitrant Heinz at its micron based spin count is – easy.

It is:

·      Clean fiber

·      Good spinning oil in the right amount, spread through the fiber

·      Good combing (with 4-pitch combs)

·      Good planking

·      Good diz technique

·      Wheel set for 20 tpi and running fast, ~3,500 rpm.


I have a lot of stuff to spin.

Craftspeople are known by their tools.

No comments: