I started off the year by making some new bobbins:
They look small, but they will both hold a little over an ounce of singles. An ounce of 20s is 700 yards. An ounce of 40s is 1,400 yards. Thus, I have no problem winding off full hanks of 560 yards from these bobbins.
The physical flier ratio is 22:1.
They took about half a day to make. I bored 5/8" maple dowel with a 9/16" hole on their axis by holding them in the wood lathe. I enlarged the axis boring at each end by 3/8" x 7/16" to hold the brass bushing bearings. For the ends, I cut a 2" square piece of 3/4" maple stock, trimed the corners to ease the start of turning, and on the drill press, bored a 5/8" hole through the center. On the band saw, I cut the ends apart, one ~ 1/4" thick and the other ~1/2" thick. I glued the ends on the core. A couple of hours later, on the wool lathe, I rough turned the thin end, and then the thick end. Then I finish turned the thin end, making sure it cleared the flier. Then I finish turned the whorl using the scrapers that I made last year and posted below.
The bushing bearings were inserted, and held in place with a dab of silicon adhesive. A bit of sanding, some Danish oil, and they got left on the rack to dry while I made dinner for my wife.
Normally, I would let the core/ends-blank glue-up dry overnight, but this time, I got away with only ~ 2 hour set time.