Saturday, September 08, 2018

Spinzilla

All of this talk about fine spinning has put me in the mood to do some spinning. My wife is off to a school reunion, so I am off to Spinzilla. (Her car will be out of the garage, so I can arrange my spinning gear in the air conditioned garage.)

My goal is to spin a pound of  Heinz 57 wool into 22,400 yards (40 hanks) of worsted single at 20 tpi in 7 days.

eta 9/9/18
The Heinz will have to be prepped; washed, oiled, combed, dized into bird's nests. . . . . the start is washing and oiling - here I begin the study a bit early, because I may be required to make a new flyer whorl to get the correct grist. I have whorls spin it at its spin count (30,800 ypp) or to spin knitting yarn at 22,400 ypp but this is somewhere in between.

Some Heinz 57  having been carded, washed, oiled, draining and drying. A day in the sun and it will be ready for combing etc.

Edited 9/10/18 to add:

Combed Heinz fiber as bird nests drying in the sun because the Aden Amos carding/spinning oil has water in it, a I added some more as I was combing. Each bird nest weighs about 4 grams, so 3 are required to spin a hank. The roving is very soft and has a tensile strength  ~4 grams.  About 15% or 20% of the fiber in the commercial fiber  product as received is left in the combs and is set aside to be carded and spun woolen. I could get a higher yield of the fiber for worsted spinning, but I need fiber for woolen spinning anyway.  Note that at this point, the Heinz is much whiter than as received. 

9/12/18 ETA 
My lawyer says it is a team "sport" where the goal is to spin a lot. It does not matter what I spin, as  I support my team by spinning a lot of yards.  My wheel spins fastest when spinning  woolen and semi-worsted yarns  at ~5,000 ypp. I guess I owe it to my team members so spin woolen  and semi-worsted at 5,000 ypp.



No comments: