Sunday, August 08, 2021

A hank of 4-ply fingering

 I do not mark spinners by their entry into contests, such as The Longest Thread, but by what they can sit down and spin, today.

I think a competent spinner can spin a hank of worsted 4-ply fingering in a day.

There was nothing in the process that I had not done before, but doing it all on one day, required: a new drive band, new accelerator bearings, fresh spinning oil, some new wool combing protocols, fitness from combing and spinning for hours every day, and cooler weather (without strong breezes) all of which took weeks.   A good chunk of that is stuff a competent spinner would do as a matter of routine, but I had been thinking about other things

And it can be done with crap fiber. I thought it was a practice/exercise day, so I used some old worthless fiber. About all I have done with it is knit "nippers", as I learned about at Maritime Museum of the Atlantic | (novascotia.ca), and on that day, with those exhibits, I started to wonder, "How did those old seamen stay warm?"

Actually, a few days later, we went to MacAusland Woolen Mills (https://www.macauslandswoollenmills.com/  ). I started knitting socks, and within few weeks, it was apparent that nippers were not knit, rather they knit socks,  wore them until felted and they had holes, then they cut the worn socks into nippers.  Nevertheless, such a shape makes a good swatch.)

No comments: