Tuesday, August 03, 2021

Fresh Wool

 I have said several times that I like freshly prepped wool. Spinning 12,000 ypp singles outside on the patio, has pushed this to an extreme. In the morning, I set up my spinning on the patio, and prepare enough wool for one hank.  Each hank weighs about 24 grams, and takes a little over an hour to spin. I spin a hank and walk the 30 yards to my combing bench, and prep another 24 grams.  In the course of an hour, the consistency of the wool on the distaff changes, so the first 10 grams is easier to spin than the last 10 grams.

I think it is a matter that my combing/spinning oil mix (per Alden's Big Blue Book) has water in it that evaporites as the wool sits on the distaff. I think if I kept the prepped wool at high humidity, it might be OK, or it might compress a bit.

On the other hand, I like breaks every hour or so for a few minutes of combing.

I think when I was spinning singles at twice the weight, they had more moisture with less surface area and did not dry as fast.  I know these dry a lot faster after steam blocking.

No comments: