Monday, August 21, 2023

Needles for fingering yarn

 I have gone off the deep end.  Now that I have really good fingering knitting yarns, I have stowed my fat needles (e.g.,2.3 mm), and all my knitting bags and project boxes are stocked with 1.3 mm and 1.5 mm needles. These days they tend to be between 6" and 16" in length. 

For a while,  I was using pointy needles for the first couple of knit rows after casting on, but as I became more accustomed to casting fingering yarns on to fine needles, I find that I can use flat tipped needles for everything, (with the understanding that I am not doing lace or brioche or or such.)  

Also, my knitting sheaths have become smaller and lighter. All in all, my knitting bags can be smaller and lighter. The exception is that I have moved toward keeping my knitting yarn on bobbins, and having a very small "tension box" under my right foot to hold the bobbin and take some of the tensioning work off my right hand.

We were pruning the olive trees. When I cut up the branches, it turned out that there were yarn bobbins of every size and kitchen spatulas hiding in every length of the branches - dozens, scores.  Who could have guessed?  : )


No comments: