Saturday, August 26, 2023

Spinning fingering yarns with Scotch tension

Every serious hand spinner knows one can spin excellent fingering yarns on Scotch tension or bobbin lead flyer-bobbin assemblies!

On the other hand, spinners that are competent with Scotch tension, bobbin lead, and differential rotation speed flyer-bobbin assemblies know that the differential rotation speed (DRS) flyer-bobbin assemblies can produce fine singles 3 or 4 times faster than Scotch tension or bobbin lead. 

It took me a long time to work out just how to spin on DRS. And when I thought I had worked it all out, Stephenie Gaustad came over and moved my hands a few inches so I could spin much better and much faster. I consider Stephenie to be the Great Goddess of hand spinning, made more powerful by her being a great teacher.

If two people of similar skill sit down to spin yarn and then knit similar objects from their yarn, the person using DRS will have the yarn spun and knit before the person using Scotch tension or bobbin lead can get the yarn spun.

I consider my time valuable. I like to get things done, and do more things. I like to spin, but I use DRS because it is faster. Then, I put an accelerator on my DRS wheel so I can spin faster still. I want to spin yarn for a project and finish that project. I like to knit, but I use a knitting sheath because it lets me finish a knitting project faster.  

I enjoy just spinning - so sometimes I take on big projects that involve a lot of just spinning.

And, when I am spinning, I remember all those many thousands of textile workers through history that spun better and faster than I do.  When I knit, I remember all those many thousands of textile workers that knit better and faster than I do.  I try to respect them by remembering their skills.

   

No comments: