Friday, July 09, 2021

The Click of Knitting Needles

 In the book Heidi by Spryri, her blind grandmother's knitting needles clicked as she knit by the fire. And, there are other literary references to the clicking of knitting needles.

From this I assumed that a good knitter's needles clicked as they knit. However, I did not hear modern knitter's needles click, and I did not click as I knit.  This was good as it allowed me to do a lot of knitting as my wife and I watched movies.  

However, recently, my needles have started clicking as I knit. The currents culprits are 1.3 mm steel sock needles with a Durham style knitting sheath when knitting firmly spun sock yarn.  It is not a big deal - it is not something you would hear over the Star Wars sound track.  

But yes, Spyri was correct that some knitter's knitting needles click as they knit.


No comments: