Friday, July 30, 2021

Sheringham

 I have known this day was coming since I bought Gladys Thompson's book on Patterns. (and I spilled red wine on page 82.)

I have cleaned the white fluff off the combing bench, and moved a kilo of that Romney that I dyed navy blue years ago to the bench. It has been languishing in the stash.

I am going to knit a Sheringham - from handspun 4-ply fingering. Not the "tight one" knit on 1mm needles, but the fluffy one knit on 1.3 mm needles. (I like the motion of the stiffer needles. I intend to knit it on 5- 12" needles using a knitting sheath that hangs below my belt.)  All needles except 1.3 mm have been banished to the needle chest. 

Here in sunny California, I like to spin on the patio in the cool of the morning. I figure 2 or 3 weeks to get the spinning done. (Actual spinning/ply time under 55 hours.) (There is a real chance that with a new drive band, actual spin time will be closer to 30 hours.  I come from a world where we plan increment, baseline, and decrement budgets. )  

Then, 10 or 12 weeks of knitting - not all the time but 4 to 6 hours per day.  (Actual knitting time, 200 to 300 hours.)


No comments: