Friday, July 16, 2021

Old dog learns new tricks

I have been sampling/swatching/ playing with old yarns like Paton’s Beehive, Froehlich Wolle Blauband yarns, and Jamieson’s of Shetland 4-ply yarns with a grist of  ~2,500 ypp. I have knit them on 1.5 mm and 1.3 mm needles, and like the 1.3 mm needles.

(Some of these yarn labels recommend US2 needles. I first swatched these yarns on the recommended needles. I did not like the fabric, which is I have these nice old yarns in the stash - for an older and wiser knitter to revisit.)

I like the 4-ply construction much better than the 6-ply cable construction that I have been using. The cables are cooler and more durable, but do not have as nice skin feel.  

The Paton’s Beehive, Froehlich Wolle Blauband yarns, and Jamieson’s of Shetland 4-ply yarns with a grist of  ~2,500 ypp seem to be disapearing. There are small lots on Esty, and EBay, but it is hard to find yarn for a sweater. 

These yarns are based on worsted spun singles of 11,200 ypp (20s). Almost any long wool fleece can be spun to that grist.  It takes me a day (after fiber prep)  to spin 4 hanks of singles and ply them together into 500 yards/ 90 grams of good sock yarn. On 1.3 mm needles, 90 grams is a wicked lot of knitting. These 4-ply yarns are easier to produce (fewer steps) than the 6-ply cabled that I have been playing with and knitting on 1.5 mm needles.

Today, this is the kind of yarn I like to knit, but it is very hard to buy such yarns these days. I will tell you about it, but I am not going to spin it for you.

(Yes, with a slower wheel, it will take you longer to spin this kind of yarn. That is not my fault! It is something you should take up with people like Henry Clemes or Robert Ashford.)


No comments: